IELTS General Training measures English language proficiency in a practical, everyday context. The tasks and tests reflect both workplace and social situations.
Take this test if you would like to:
- train or study at below degree level
- work or undertake work related training in an English speaking country
- emigrate to an English speaking country
- get a better job in your own country.
If you want to emigrate to the UK, find out more about IELTS for UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) here.
Before booking your test, make sure to check which test you need with the organisations you are applying to.
- Fee for the IELTS General Training test: €210 (€211 from 1 January 2021)
- Duration: 2 hours and 45 minutes.
- Format: There are four sections to the test: Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking. You can choose between paper-based or computer-delivered IELTS General Training. Both test formats will take place at one of our official test centres.
If you take a paper-based test, your Speaking test may be offered on the same day as the other sections of the test, or up to a week before or after. You will receive notification in advance if your Speaking test is on a different day to your main test day.
If you choose a computer-delivered test, you have a free choice of Speaking test dates and venues.