The IELTS Academic test measures whether you have the level of English language proficiency needed for an academic, higher education environment. It reflects some of the features of academic language and assesses whether you are ready to begin studying or training.
Take this test if you want to:
- study at either undergraduate or postgraduate level anywhere in the world
- apply for Tier 4 Student Visa at a university that is a Tier 4 Sponsor in the UK
- work in a professional organisation in an English speaking country.
If you are applying to a UK University, that has requested you to take an IELTS for UKVI (Visas and Immigration) click here.
- Fee for IELTS Academic: €210 (€211 from 1 January 2021)
- Duration: 2 hours and 45 minutes.
- Format: There are four sections to the test: Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking. You can choose between paper-based or computer-delivered IELTS Academic. Both test formats will take place at one of our official test centres.
If you take a paper-based test, your Speaking test may be offered on the same day as the other sections of the test, or up to a week before or after. You will receive the exact time and date of your Speaking test in your invitation 5 days before your test at the latest.
If you choose a computer-delivered test, you have a free choice of Speaking test dates and venues.