The British Council has been working in Slovakia since 1946, when it was originally called the 'British Institute' and Professor Brander was the Director. However the office closed in 1950 due to a change in the political system and did not re-open until 1992, in a new location at Bratislava’s Old Town in Panska 17.
During our time at the British Council in Slovakia we have:
- assisted thousands of English teachers to develop new and innovative teaching methods.
- partnered and organised many cultural and educational events and programmes, including the Globe Theatre’s Hamlet and various activities at the Pohoda Festival.
- brought together numerous schools, institutions and professionals.
- helped over 50,000 students taking International English Language Testing System (IELTS), Cambridge and other exams.
- improved the level of English to thousands of students, while studying with us.
Our work in English
The English language has always been at the heart of our work, creating cultural relations between the UK, Slovakia and the rest of the world. We provide English language courses for everyone interested in learning or improving English, either for general English or for specific purposes (business, financial, legal etc.), courses to help preparation for English language certificates, and dedicated courses for the business environment.
Our work in arts and education
Our goal is to build bridges of trust and understanding among people around the world. Through our programmes, we give opportunities to hundreds of millions of people worldwide to learn about British culture and creativity.
Check out more about our education and arts programmes.
The British Council libraries have a new home
In 2006 our three British Council libraries in Bratislava, Banska Bystrica and Kosice were closed. The majority of our stock was donated to six public libraries across Slovakia and six British Centres were created within these libraries. You can find these British Centres at the following libraries:
- The State Scientific Library, Lazovná 9, 975 58 Banská Bystrica , www.svkbb.eu
- The State Scientific Library, Hlavná 10, 042 30 Košice 1, www.svkk.sk
- P. O. Hviezdoslav Library, Hlavná 139, 080 01 Prešov , www.kniznica-poh.sk
- Žilinská knižnica, Bernolákova 47, 011 77 Žilina, www.krajskakniznicazilina.sk
- University Library, Study of Filozofická fakulta, Hodžova 1, 949 01 Nitra,
- University Library, Michalská 1, 811 01 Bratislava, www.ulib.sk